Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hair's your future


First, on my way to the train, I came across this:

Yes, that is someone's weave/extension/hairpiece.  I don't know what was more disturbing to me: the fact that a giant chunk of someone's hair was just laying there, or the fact that no one else looked at it (let alone stopped to take a picture...like me!)

Then I got on the train and realized that sometimes, I just can't.  Let me preface this story by saying that I'm used to people talking on their phones about "important business deals".  We've all been there.  Trapped in a small space with someone who desperately needs you to hear how important they are.

Today reached a new low for me and possibly, our future.  I got on the train, and sat a few rows down from a teenager who was having a conversation on his cell phone.  Wait, let me clarify: He had the iPhone headphones that have a built-in microphone...so it looked like he was talking to himself...I hope he was.

What followed was 25 minutes of extremely loud talk from him, complete with hand gestures and a smug look from a face that begged to be punched.

"Have you even read the constitution? Sometimes I just wonder if you really understand what a democracy is. Do you legitimately understand what it is to be a libertized American?"  (yes, he said libertized)

"No, Sarah, you don't understand the plight of the working man. It's maddening sometimes.  You haven't seen what I have seen, Minneapolis is dealing with an entirely new wave of poverty and crime.  I know you don't see that in Big Lake, but you need to understand that without the government, you would not be safe"  (what?  I don't unders...what?)

"No, Sarah, I've been to the capital, I know how it is in Minneapolis"  (I just can't)

"If you go to the back of the book, the answers to the odd numbered problems are there"

This is our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment